Tuesday, August 11, 2020

My First Photography Post

One of the many plants I have in my yard is Milkweed. It grows wild in my garden but I don’t mind that as it has a wonderful scent and also happens to be a favorite of Monarch Butterflies. 

The Monarch Butterfly lays her very tiny eggs on the underside of the leaves and when the caterpillar hatches out (after about 3 to 8 days) it feeds on the leaves. 

It does not take very long for the baby caterpillar to grow to full size (about 2 weeks) after which it forms a chrysalis. Anywhere from 8 to 15 days later the Monarch Butterfly emerges from the chrysalis and continues the cycle.

This summer I found a Monarch Butterfly egg on a Milkweed leaf and I documented its development from egg to mature butterfly in a series of photographs I call Monarch:


A tiny Monarch Butterfly egg.


The baby caterpillar.


The full-grown caterpillar.


The chrysalis.

The mature Monarch Butterfly.


All photos are © Martin Jamison 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment